Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Time Theme 5 x 7 Memory Box by Nancy


Hello there!  It's Nancy here today with a project I had tons of fun creating.  These 5 x 7 memory boxes come in the same themed shapes as our ATC shrines, and some others as well.   I chose the one with the time theme thinking I'd either do an Alice in Wonderland themed project, or something steampunk.  It had been awhile since I'd indulged myself and created a detailed fantasy project.  I love to create a little world that tempts me to step into it.
The memory box could certainly also be used to display a favorite photo.  I thought about that possibility as well, and come to think of it, I just might need another one :)



I began by taping off the little notches with masking tape then painting the box with gesso.  You can skip the masking process, but you might have to do some sanding afterwards so that the notches will fit together properly when you assemble it later.  The boxes are notched to fit together easily with simple assembly and glue.  Please note that these boxes do not require any hardware, and it would not be recommended to use any screws or nails.  I added some hinges just for fun because I like the look, and I adhered the hinges with glossy accents, and then I used liquid pearls in a metallic color to imitate the look of screws or nails.  I applied some Japanese lace papers in shades of blue and green adhering and protecting it with golden gel medium.  Then came ink sprays and finally some Kroma crackle to further distress the finish.


I created a little book covered with leather-look paper on the outside, and a little drink me bottle


 I love how the background came out both inside and out.  I then added lots of mosses, die cut leaves etc to create my fantasy forest. The tree on the inside is also by Gina's Designs.  The Alice in Wonderland images were purchased on Etsy and I doubled up the heavy cardstock before fussy cutting and then covered the images with triple thick gloss medium by Deco Arts  to make them very sturdy, shiny and durable.


On the backside of the box I decided to lay some of the new chipboard bricks, coloring them with chalk inks and using some texture paste as my grout.  At the top of the brick wall I added one of Gina's tree branches with birds which I also colored with chalk inks and added some stickles.
I had so much fun, I hope you like it!

Gina's Designs Products used:

Time themed Memory Box - Coming soon!!
Tree branch with birds - Coming soon!!
Bricks - Coming soon!!

Other Products:

Japanese Lace Paper (I purchased mine online from Dick Blick Art Materials)
Golden Gel Medium in matte finish
Prima Chalk Inks
Prima resin mushroom
Various mosses and things from my stash
Tim Holtz glass bottle
Images from Etsy
Distress stickles by Ranger
Rub n Buff in gold
Gesso in white
Texture paste by Liquitex





4 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...